Pages

Wednesday, 18 March 2015

DIY: Lace patterned candle holder

I often buy candles that come in glass jars, which leaves me with a perfectly decent reusable candle holder after the candle has been used up, so today I thought I'd share with you a DIY tutorial of a candle holder that I re-vamped. 

All you'll need is...


Place your old candle holder in the freezer as this hardens the leftover wax and makes it easier to break it out. I put mine in the freezer for 1 hour as I only had a small amount of wax leftover but you may need longer if your candle holder has more wax stuck to the bottom. 


Next, get a knife and break the wax at the bottom. It should break really easily allowing you to tip it straight out. 


Just to make sure your candle holder is super clean, wash it in some warm soapy water and dry with a tea towel. 


Position the lace around your candle holder and overlap the two ends slightly. Cut off the excess lace with a pair of scissors if needed then use a small amount of tape to keep it secure. Use as little tape as you can otherwise it might look a little patchy at the end when you spray paint over the lace. 


The next step is to get your spray paint and spray light strokes across the candle holder to ensure even coverage. (Don't forget to spray outside and follow the instructions on the spray can!) Depending how opaque you want your final outcome to be, you could spray over the lace a few more times. I only did one layer though to achieve my result. Remove the lace straight away and let the candle holder dry. 


Then just place in a tea light, light it and admire your pretty little masterpiece! Unfortunately this photo doesn't do it justice as it's overexposed but it really does create a nice little lace effect as well as an interesting sillhouette surrounding the candle holder. 

This is super easy so give it a try and let me know how yours turned out! Send me your photos on Twitter using @JBriony 



No comments:

Post a Comment